Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Things that piss me off when someone sends me email!!

  • When someone forward a message that was sent before to like 100 mail address, & forgot to delete the (irrelevant) email addresses, & they just went there as a part of the message (& growing)!!
  • When someone send me a message, along with a 100 other addresses (including mine) in the CC or To field not the BCC, while the recipients don't know one another & even won't need to know one another (for eg chain email messages). Off course if this "someone" in this point did put them in the BCC, we will find less "someones" do the previous point by mistake!!
  • When different people in my social network forward to me the same email (which was 1st sent by some in their extended social networks to all of them) & someone (from the chain(s) between the 1st sender & me) gets the idea that it's brilliant to change the message title!! Leaving me, not only suffering of receiving the same message again & again & again!! Naaah!! (s)he give me the extra pain of spreading them across multiple threads in my inbox :@:@ (If you're not using gMail u won't feel the difference, you’re already suffering too much to feel it :D!!)
  • When someone CC me in a conversation that I don't give a "….." about.
  • When someone reply to conversation happening among a number of people (me included) & then replies on behalf of me (usually the reply is a commitment from them that I -Shady- will do something. As if they are my agent/lawyer :D).
  • When someone (specially admins) hijack mailing-lists by sending/allowing mail that is totally irrelevant to the mailing-list main topic.
  • When someone tries to use religion (actually this isn't just about email, I see that all the time) to make sure you forward their SPAM to your whole mailing list. Usually I delete similar email just for the sake of it. (3end)
  • When someone send too old news that circulated the internet for like a 100 times. Specially if they were well known hoax!!
This post was in my drafts for like 6 month, & since I started it I had the Ericsson laptop hoax email –which I have been receiving dozens of times since high school already - for like 2 to 3 time at least over just the past 6 month!!)

3 comments:

It Came From Outer Space said...

*sendS me email

Shady M. Najib said...

LOL.. Thanks :)
Disregarding the title, do you have any comments about the body? :P

Fady Anwar said...

well, putting u on CC doesn't stop at this point, actually most known worms on infected machines would scan the internet temprory internet files for e-mail addresses and gather them into a list and upload them onto the worm's developer servers to be used for future spam, so make sure when somebody CC you mail on a chain mail like that eventually it will reach an infected machine with such a worm, so next thing you know is that you get daily 100 spam mail and you keep wondering how did they manage to get your mail account

to give you a clear view, i've been working on POC worm with this functionality, i got 20,000 mail address only from my machine!! no spammer wouldn't love to include such a nasty functionality into his worm!!

Disclaimer

All the opinions expressed on this blog are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions.